5.07.2008

Slow

Working the reference desk today, which means a leisurely afternoon of mindless paperwork, listening to This American Life, and drinking iced tea. I like working up here because it's one of the few places in the museum where one can have access to both fresh air and natural light. I've got the window open, and the warmish air brings with it a smell that is a mixture of rain and stale McDonalds - both refreshing and completely nauseating at the same time, if you can imagine that. Still, it's better than the stale museum air. I'm finally settling into the idea that I no longer have impending deadlines threatening my sanity; slowly the cold shock of fear that there is something that I should be doing, frantically at the last minute, has started to wear off. It's break, and it will be for another month. Believe me, I am looking forward to the day when break never ends, and I am free to feed myself with all the food groups of entertainment, from intellectual reading, to Rolling Stone articles, to Hell's Kitchen, without feeling any remorse for not spending the time on coursework. Only another year (maybe less) and I'm done.

Please shoot me if I ever consider going back to school after this! I'm sure there will be times when I miss academia, but I'll manage - believe me...

No comments: