2.29.2008

The frantic pace of non-profit life... or not.

Sorry for being incommunicado for the last few days. After months of the same old thing at work, I received an email from the head of our department asking whether any of us might want to apply for one of the fellowships being made available for young museum professionals to attend the American Association of Museums'Annual Meeting in Denver. Of course I was interested, but there was just one catch: applications were due in three days. Great. So, gathering up my skills, finely-tuned from years of procrastination and last-minute productivity, I proceeded to crank out an application essay, budget, a new resume, and even a letter of recommendation for our library director to sign off on for me - all in the matter of two days (yesterday was a write off because I had to get up at 4:30am, drive to Champaign-Urbana, do a full day of lecture, and then drive home - but that's another story). On a side note, why is it that most supervisors want you to write your own letters of rec? Is it because they don't want to be hassled, or do they legitimately want you to do exercises in self-reflection like that? I've had this happen to me a few times now.
Needless to say, I feel like wonder woman right now. I really hope things work out; I would love to attend the conference, and possibly meet up with my old boss who now works at a major museum in that same city. I'm sure he won't be up for another impromptu soccer match on the lawn of his museum for old time's sake, but I'd love to get dinner with him if at all possible.

So, keep your fingers crossed for me, lovely blog readers!

No comments: