2.04.2009

Another interesting day - in FFWD

Spoke with Smithsonian contact over the phone and was told of two opportunities: one which I will be taking advantage of over spring break, and the other which I will hopefully be taking advantage of over the course of 10 weeks this summer.

If all goes well I will be working an internship at the Smithsonian after graduation, which basically means that I will be well down the road to dying happy - as it was high on the list of that really long 'to do before I die' list.

Just to give you an idea of how much of a kid in the candy shop I'll be - here is a taste from the collection site that I can't seem to get out of my head:

"All told, the archives' holdings include nearly 635,000 ethnological and archaeological photographs (including some of the earliest images of indigenous people worldwide); 20,000 works of native art (mainly North American, Asian, and Oceanic); 11,400 sound recordings; and more than 8 million feet of original film and video materials. The Smithsonian's broad collection policy and support of anthropological research for over 150 years have made the NAA and HSFA unparalleled resources for scholars interested in the cultures of North America, Latin America, Oceania, Africa, Asia and Europe."


I can't even begin to explain how awesome that would be to me if this all winds up working out. I've wanted to be there, working there, since I first set foot in it as a little kid. I'm pretty certain I could never relocate to DC permanently because I love my city so much, but I really want to get a taste of what it must be like to work somewhere that incredible.

No comments: